I’ve never understood how Mother’s Day became an excuse for moms to get away, when being with those that call us “Mom” provides an opportunity for the best kind of celebration. COVID-19 has forced us all to celebrate at home AND together. What a gift!
My perfect Mother’s Day at home does not look that much different than most of our days sheltering at home.
And I’m fine with that. It means our “every days” have become more about quality time and less about busyness. More about togetherness and less about escapes. What a great time to be a mother!
My COVID-19 Mother’s Day wish list:
- Coffee in bed and watching the morning news in peace and quiet.
- Exercising with my spouse.
- Exercising together as a family.
- Handmade cards from my children and/or locally-purchased gifts they picked out themselves.
- Cooking a dinner together.
- A favorite board game at night.
This Mother’s Day will mark my first Mother’s Day that my husband has been in town for in almost a decade. His work schedule always takes him out of town for the 2 weeks around Mother’s Day.
But as much as I will treasure him being home this year, not much else will change. In his absence, our sons have taken ownership of the holiday. They keep it simple, sweet, and from their hearts. I can’t wait to see what their love for me drives them to make or do to celebrate this year.