I’m a firm believer that dating your mate is a MUST! Finding time in our crazy busy, calendar packed lives to just stop and take a moment for each other is necessary. To look each other in the eyes, to reconnect, to converse without children needing your attention, to laugh together and just be close. It’s so good for your heart, your intimacy and marriage overall.
My husband, Ryan, & I have always put dating at the top of our list. We love to go out to different restaurants, go to the movies, and even escape to Dallas for a night away. However, to be honest, some of our all-time best date nights have happened right in the comfort of our own home! You don’t have to spend a lot of money or even get a babysitter to have a successful date.
Here are a few ideas for you to enjoy a special, romantic and fun date right at home:
- Cook a late dinner together! Feed the kids & get them all to bed at a decent time. Then, open a bottle of wine & slowly cook a meal together. Enjoy chopping, sautéing, and chatting. Make a fun appetizer you can munch on while cooking. A cheese tray is fab. Light some candles and enjoy a peaceful, calm dinner. Make a homemade card to give your mate. This is one of my favorite things ever.
- Play a game! Break out the cards, dominos, or a puzzle. Be silly and laugh loud. Nothing fills my heart more than laughing to tears with my man.
- Make your own movie theater! Move your couch right in front of your TV, pop some buttery popcorn and grab the dark chocolates. Rent a movie or find one on Netflix. Cozy up next to your guy in your pajamas with a blanket & enjoy!
- Take a leisurely walk around the neighborhood, hand in hand. Then, come back, make a drink and sit on the back patio for hours! Share about your goals and dreams, talk about things you’ve learned from past mistakes, and chat about reasons why you love your mate.
- Create your own coffee shop experience. Have a dessert & coffee bar! Pick up some fun chocolates, bake some yummy cookies or your favorite cake. Or, if you are like me and aren’t a baker, go visit your local bakery for some tasty treats. Brew some freshly roasted coffee to enjoy along with the sweets. Pick out a book you can read together, light a fire and relax!
*turn your phone off! disconnect so you can reconnect.
*put one date night on the calendar each week!
*let your kids know how important dating your mate is!
*if you don’t have babysitters or family nearby, staring a date night co-op with some friends!
*remember to have fun with planning dates, don’t stress…it doesn’t always have to be elaborate!
*plan a double date with friends on occasion, that’s always a good time too!