I’m approaching the first birthday of our youngest and I can’t believe how fast the time has flown!
I know I know, everyone says that.
There are some days that you will think “I’m not going to make it to nap time without melting down” and those emotions, thoughts, and feelings are so real and so overwhelming.
And when you are IN that kind of a day, the LAST thing you want to hear is that “you will miss these days!” I remember when some well-intentioned people would say that and I wanted to punch them in the face…or just pass them my kid and say “enjoy”!
But now that I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel it’s SOOO much easier to look back on this past year and see how actually it did fly by fast and how grateful I am to be on the other side.
If you are pregnant and reading this, I want to just encourage you that the first 6 months are truly the hardest. If you can just hold on and make it to that milestone, the next 6 months get a LOT easier as they can sit up, interact with others, and maybe even start crawling!
And during this time…don’t forget to ask for help! I truly believe that motherhood was NEVER meant to be something experienced in isolation. So reach out and allow your friends and family to surround you.
Okay, now to the hospital part 🙂
When you start getting ready for the hospital, it can be VERY overwhelming to know how much to take and what you really need.
I consider myself somewhat of a minimalist, but prepared. I’m not just gonna show up with the clothes on my back, but I’m also not going to pack so much that I can’t find what I need.
I’ve had all 3 of my kids in Tyler, so I’m fairly familiar with what you will need to take with you to the hospitals there and what you can leave at home.
Here’s my list and I’m linking it all to amazon so you can just have it delivered to your house 🙂
- Diaper bag or diaper backpack – I recommend only getting bags that are completely wipeable so you can just wipe up spills vs having to wash it every time a bottle leaks. The one I have isn’t currently available but here’s a similar one! This one is also super cute even just for a purse as your baby ages out of diaper bag phase.
- All natural Wipes – I like Water Wipes brand. I’ve used these exclusively for all my kids
- 2-3 diapers size NB or 1 (size 1 if you expect a 9lb+ baby)
- 2 pajamas plus a coming home outfit
- Muslin swaddles (the hospital has some cloth ones but I wanted baby to go ahead and get used to our stuff we would have at home). Your nurse should be able to show you how to swaddle, but if you forget you can always check YouTube. Avoid the fuzzy swaddles because we live in Texas y’all…a muslin swaddle over some cute footed pjs is all you really need.
- Baby book to put foot and hand prints in plus to let guests sign in when they visit!
- Also, if you aren’t planning to breast feed you may want to go ahead and take your own feeding supplies. Call ahead because the hospital may have something for you but I can’t say from experience. Also if it might be charged separately it might save you money to bring your own.
- Birthing gown if you don’t want to use hospital gown
- Earth Mama Perineal Spray. I would NEVER give birth again without it. I started using it about an hour or two after labor and used it every time I used the bathroom for weeks. I truly believe it helped my recovery time dramatically with my 3rd. It’s totally worth it.
- Clothes for after labor. They will give you a little goodie bag with panties and pads, but pack your own if you think you will have an extended stay.
- Shower supplies, contact solution, make up…everything you would normally pack to stay overnight anywhere
- FUZZY Socks!!!! I LIVED in mine each time I was in the hospital. My feet were so cold and the floors are not mopped everyday. You will want either fuzzy socks or flip flops to walk around in.
- Phone charger
- SNACKS and a refillable water bottle – I was always way hungry in the hospital and I wanted my own comfort foods. Just a few, because hopefully you won’t be at the hospital for too long.
- Whatever your husband needs! lol
I hope this list helps you! This is a very basic list and this is pretty much exactly what I took. I think I also took a book in case I got bored?? What was I thinking? You will stay plenty busy, girl.
Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.